Tell your Friend(s)     

INJURY DUE TO FIRE, (November, 2004)

Happy Diwali ! But take care !

Incidence of injury due to fire, fire crackers are more during Diwali time, due to negligence while bursting crackers, sparklers and others. These can be completely prevented, if only you take care!

Also like any other accident, injuries due to heat, fire, boiling liquids etc are "preventable", if only one knows how and follows or adopts these measures in daily life.

During Diwali celebrations all the festivities and merriment can be inside EXCEPT bursting of crackers and other fireworks. Take these festivities involving fire and fireworks outside into the open and share the happiness and merriment with others. Also parents and adults should supervise when children play with these items.

Also know first aid for heat injuries/ burns to minimize damage.

In your house pay attention to following :
Do not store highly flammable materials like petrol & diesel. Store kerosene carefully and out of reach of children.

Electrical wiring and systems should be good quality and should be properly earthed. Open plug points at floor level are dangerous.

Following kitchen rules should be observed:

  • Avoid cooking on the floor; better to cook on a platform.
  • Do not use highly inflammable garments like "nylon".
  • Preferable to avoid flowing dress like sarees in the kitchen.
  • Do not store any items behind and above the stove.
  • Pressure stoves are highly dangerous; avoid using them.
  • Do not pour kerosene into the stove when flame is burning.
  • No entry ( without accompanying person) for small children in kitchen.
  • Epileptics are not to be allowed to cook unless someone else is also in kitchen.
  • Do not use the dress or cloth one is wearing to lift hot vessels from the stove.
  • Use a suitable hand grip or a loose cloth for this purpose.
  • Know what to do in case you touch/come in contact with very hot object/liquid.

Know first aid for burns and fire accidents.
Following common situations in our daily life predispose to burn accident. Avoid them.
  • Use of pressure stove.
  • Nylon and other inflammable dress in the kitchen.
  • Use of open flame bed-lamp.
  • Not taking proper precautions while using cooking gas.
  • Floor level cooking.
  • Children and epileptics in kitchen, without supervision.
  • Firing crackers inside the house.
  • Smoking in bed.
  • Not taking proper precautions while using electrical appliances.
  • Storing inflammable materials like petrol in the house.

Wishing you and all your friends and family a Merry And Safe Diwali!

Dr. M.Mohan Rao, MBBS,MS,FICS,MCH,

M.D. & Chief Surgeon, Dr. U Mohan Rau Memorial Hospital.
E-mail: mmr@mohanraohospital.com




 

Updated on 01.11.2004.
 

Useful Newsletters





Sponsored Links